Home » Organic benefits found?
Published November 2012
Organic benefits found?
USA: Clinical report highlights benefits of organic
This is a copy from the Organic-market.info website
A clinical report published online by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) highlighting the many attributes of organic foods provides guidance to parents confused by conflicting marketing messages regarding healthy food choices for their children. Calling the report a major milestone for the organic sector, the Organic Trade Association (OTA) hails it as a confirmation of the significance of the benefits that organic provides.
Overall, the clinical report, which is scheduled to appear in the November issue of the journal Pediatrics, cited the following contributions of organic farming and food consumption:
• Lower exposure to pesticides known to cause disease
• Lower exposure to drug-resistant bacteria
• Higher beneficial nutrient levels such as Vitamin C, total phenols and phosphorus
• Lower levels of detrimental substances such as nitrates
• Yields comparable to those of conventional farming techniques while avoiding environmental pollution and reducing fossil fuel consumption
• Lower pesticide exposure for farm workers
• Lower overall environmental impact than conventional farming.
Co-authors Dr. Joel Forman and Dr. Janet Silverstein have added that there is a need for additional studies to improve the understanding of the long-term health effects of pesticide exposure from conventional foods and from the consumption of meat from hormone-treated animals, as well as to study nutritional aspects of food grown organically.
What do you think about organic food? is it safer? Better? Tastier?