YES BUT – water based anal lubricant
YES BUT is a new approach to anal lubrication… Designed specifically to give long-lasting slipperiness and comfort for anal use with none of the skin damaging or concerning chemicals typically found in anal lubes.
YES BUT Key Features:
- Compatible with natural rubber, latex and polyisoprene condoms
- Thick and naturally long-lasting
- Safe for use with sex toys including silicone
- Sublime, velvety texture for smooth glide
- Odourless, no taste, no stickiness
- Unlike silicone no need to wash off afterwards
- pH matched for anal use
- Designed to match tissue osmolality* (this is important, see below)
- Internationally patent protected
Natural Anal Lubricant
YES BUT contains no Glycerine, no Propylene glycol, no aspartame, no parabens, no unpronounceable preservatives (like Diazolidinyl urea or Triethanoloamine or Imidazolidinyl urea) or Polyquaternium. Have a look at our comparison table below.
YES BUT anal lubricant is:
- Guaranteed pure and natural by its certified organic status
- Designed to be side effect free and deliver outstanding lubrication
- Innovative formulation with natural and organic ingredients
- And can be used with YES OB plant-oil based personal lubricant to experience – “Double Glideability” see below
Anal vs. vaginal lubricants
Anal play should never be uncomfortable for either person, so while using lubricant is a must, the value of using an anal lube designed to support these more vulnerable tissues is becoming more recognised. Experiencing safe and friction free pleasure are our main aims with YES BUT, but it’s not only about the lubricity. Vaginal lubricants are designed to be acidic. That’s not ok for anal play, and strong chemicals like glycerine and polypropylene glycol are known to damage the lining of the rectum, see study links below.
*We mentioned osmolality. Anal play gets some of our more vulnerable tissues exposed to lubricants, and chemical ingredients that damage these tissues can make STD transmission and HIV in particular, more likely. YES BUT has been designed to match these vulnerable tissues in two ways. Firstly the pH is balanced to match rectal pH (neutral) not vaginal pH (fairly acidic) and secondly, the strength of the ingredients used in YES BUT matches these tissues. This ingredients’ strength is called Osmolality. Two studies that discuss the implications of Lubricant Osmolality in more depth can be downloaded here: (Lubricants & Membrane Disruption & HIV.pdf & Lubricants & Rectal Epithelial Damage & HIV.pdf). Learn more about Osmolality in personal lubricants.
Water-Based & Oil-Based Lubricants
Ever tried a natural oil based lubricant? Not a silicone oil lubricant, but a plant oil lubricant. For many of our customers, YES OB plant-oil based natural lubricant quickly becomes their favourite. It has a luxurious and sensuous texture, great longevity and superb glide. Not suitable for use with condoms, but great for sex toy, water play and intimate massage, as well as for intercourse.
If you aren’t using condoms then we suggest trying YES BUT with YES OB natural plant-oil based lubricant in pre-filled applicators. YES OB in pre-filled applicators means our natural alternative to silicone lubes can be inserted and delivered to the right place. YES BUT, used in addition gives a wonderfully easy cushioning feel and seriously long-lasting pleasure. This combination offers you the unique, long-lasting and voluptuous “Double Glideability” effect.
YES BUT compared to other Brands
YES BUT has been responsibly designed and formulated to support rather than compromise intimate health.
*K-Y Jelly formulation has changed, pH & Osmolality from 2011 study, previous formulation data shown here to match study results.
** It is our view that these strong chemicals should not be in an anal lubricant.
Osmolality, pH data & opinions from:
a. Identification of Personal Lubricants That Can Cause Rectal Epithelial Cell Damage and Enhance HIV Type 1 Replication in Vitro. AIDS RESEARCH AND HUMAN RETROVIRUSES, Volume 27, Number 9, 2011
b. Sexual lubricants in South Africa may potentially disrupt mucosal surfaces and increase HIV transmission risk among men who have sex with men. S Afr Med J 2014;104(1):49-51. DOI:10.7196/SAMJ.7002
c. YES BUT values from product specification
d. Use and procurement of additional lubricants for male and female condoms: WHO/UNFPA/FHI360 Advisory note
Difference between YES WB and YES BUT
YES WB is a vaginal lubricant – designed for vaginal use. The specific parameters that make a lubricant suitable for vaginal use are as follows:
- pH matched to the typical vaginal environment (pH4.0-4.5) to maintain vaginal health, as vaginal microflora is predominately Lactobacilli which creates the acidic environment
- Iso (the same as) or hypo (slightly lower than) osmotic to vaginal tissues. This means that the strength of the formulation, in particular the quantity and quality of dissolved molecules in the lubricant, matches human plasma and human cell osmolality. The close match (Iso or slightly hypo) ensures no tissues are irritated by water being pulled out of the tissues. All glycerin based lubricants are highly Hyper-osmotic and this can cause cell damage and irritation, and increases the risk of STD transmission through broken tissues. Slightly hypo osmotic lubricants will release water into dry tissues, with no tissue damage.
YES WB is slightly hypo-osmotic to vaginal tissues and has pH4.0.
YES BUT is an anal lubricant – designed for anal use. The specific parameters that make a lubricant suitable for anal use are as follows:
- pH matched to typical rectal pH (pH7.0-8.0). The rectum has minimal pH buffering ability (there is little free fluid available to dilute or change the lubricant pH, unlike the vagina) and the rectal microflora is predominantly anaerobic gram negative and gram-positive bacteria, which is very different to vaginal microflora.
- Iso osmotic to rectal tissues which are typically 270-290 mOsm/kg (same as plasma & vaginal tissues). The Iso-osmotic nature is more important for anal lubricants as the rectal tissues are more likely to be damaged by a hyper-osmotic lubricant. Rectal epithelium is much thinner and more fragile than vaginal tissue, and provides a greater surface area for infection, plus one of the functions of these rectal tissues is to absorb excess fluids from the rectum. Damage to vaginal or rectal tissues is a major risk factor in STD transmission, and in particular HIV, so using an Iso-osmotic rectal lubricant minimises the risk of tissue damage and therefor HIV transmission.
YES BUT is Iso-osmotic to rectal tissues and matches rectal pH at pH7.5
YES BUT Reviews
If you've tried our product why not rate it and add your review?
If you have tried our products and would like to submit a review please complete the form below. Please enter your name as you would like it to appear after the review, for example "Charlie, Scotland".
We do not require your email address or order number, but if you provide either this will help us to improve our service. If you provide both we will enter you into a monthly prize draw for free YES products.
This has helped me in so many ways. I've been struggling with other lubricants, used coconut oil for a long time because I didn't feel comfortable with anything else. But that came with it's own problems. Then I discovered ''YES BUT'' and it was awesome, right from the first try. I can finally enjoy my own body, something that I haven't been able to do in a long time. I'd totally recommend this to everyone I know :D
I've worked in a sex shop for 5+ years where we have constantly searched for new and better lubes. This is my absolute favorit water based lube. Finally a wb lube without both glycerin and propylen glycol. And thanks for making such an explicite guide and letting us know the details behind de chemistry, the ph value of your products and so on. I really appriciate it this kind of collaboration from the companys side. Makes my work as a sex educator easier too.
Questions & Answers about YES BUT
Please click on the questions to see the answers.
If you can't find the information you're looking for please feel free to ask us a question.
If you have a question about this product please complete the form below and we will provide an answer as soon as possible. If you include your email address we will respond to you directly as well as posting our response to this page.
- Hi! I am a big fan of the yes but...however it takes so long for delivery here in the US. Will ah yes eventually start to carry the yes but product?Thank you
- We are finding due to the pandemic there are extensive delays on shipping worldwide. We are launching AH! YES in phases and we will time, have the AH! YES BUT available. Thank you for your patience and understanding
- What is the shelf life of the Yes But Lube?
- You can use any of our products up to the expiry date, which is on the crimped edge of the tubes
- Hi I'm gay and have pain when I have sex so I have not had it for years now and a doctor told me about your yes yes yes oil for gay men but I can't find any to help easy the hard tissue I told I have and more so to help ease the pain I have if I have sex can you please help as to what oil is best for anal sex thanks Russell
- We would recommend using our YES OB to help soften the hard tissue and our YES BUT (which is our pH balanced anal lubricant) to help you be able to enjoy sex once more. We do not produce any products for pain control I am afraid.
- Can this product (yes but) be used as both a vaginal and anal lube?
- Thank you for contacting Yes. I can advise that YES BUT is not recommended for vaginal use purely because the pH is far too high for vaginal mucosa. The pH for YES BUT is balanced to match rectal pH (7.00) which is neutral whereas vaginal pH is fairly acidic (4.0 – 4.5), therefore using YES BUT vaginally could potentially cause irritation/infection to the woman concerned.
- Is it possible to use this lub and OB at the same time using condom?
- YES BUT is compatible with condoms, as it is water-based, but YES OB is NOT compatible with condoms, as any oil substance can cause deterioration of latex. So, if using a condom is essential, then please avoid using YES OB.
Sorry, currently out of stock.
Please enter your email address below to be notified when it is back in stock.
Free P&P on orders over $50!
Please note that this product does not come with a reusable applicator.
5 / 5 based on 3 reviews - click to read
locust bean gum
"It works for me beautifully "