Published March 2019
Earth Hour 2019 – Turn off the lights and connect to earth…
What is Earth Hour?
Set up by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), Earth Hour is the most participated switch-off event globally. For the first time in 2007, more than 2.2 million individuals and 2,000 businesses switched their lights off for one hour in support of a sustainable future. Jumping forward to 2018, hundreds of million individuals have joined the movement, with over 10 million people in the UK alone taking part (https://www.earthhour.org/).
When is Earth Hour 2019?
Saturday 30 March, 8:30pm – 9:30pm (Local time)
What to do in the dark…
Electricity plays a pivotal role in our everyday lives, so if you’re stuck for ideas on what do to once you’re switched off, we’ve selected some of the top suggestions and compiled a little list:
- Star gazing –When the artificial lights disappear, appreciate nature’s instead!
- Midnight picnic (this one’s weather dependent) – Why not prepare some of your picnic favourites, wrap up warm and embrace a bracing spring evening?!
- Board games – Go old school! Whether you’re a tactical champion at chess or a monopoly great, take some time without electricity to rediscover your favourite board games by candle light.
- Take a nap – Let’s be honest, there has never been a more perfect excuse to indulge in a quick guilt-free power nap.
- Sit around the fireplace or build a bonfire – Do it the old fashioned way! Roast some marshmallows and engage in some quality conversation with friends or family.
- Read that book – You know, the one you’ve been putting off reading for almost three years now? Yep, that one….again by candlelight, but don’t strain your eyes!
- Take a moment of mindfulness – Nurturing your mental health is just as important as your physical health. With the lights off and distractions aside, take the opportunity to read up on some mindfulness techniques, then run yourself a bath, close your eyes and practice just being in the moment.
- Get creative – when was the last time you drew something? Or crafted something? Take this time to put yourself back in touch with your creative side.
However you spend your evening, we wish you the best for Earth Hour 2019! For more information on YES’ mission to ‘change the world form the inside’ visit our company values page here.